Powered by Blogger.

Cooling Chinese Sugar Cane Drink

>> Sep 16, 2011


As the weather is not easing up with hot dry spells and occasionally granted some scattered rain in the afternoons and some hazy days, my good neighbour, Popo J gave us some Sugar Cane (In Cantonese, “Chook-Cheh”) from her garden to boil to cool down our bodies.







The Sugar Cane stem is dark red-black. I chopped the stems into 5-6” in lengths, and scrapped off the sides. Chopped vertically through to smaller pieces to expose the inner fibres, then wash and clean thoroughly to remove any dirt.

Bring a large stockpot of water with the sugar cane submerged completely. Boil on low flame for 2 – 3 hours. Cool and strain. I did not need to add any sugar or rock sugar as it is sweet once 
cooled.




Here’s, an enjoyable cool drink for the family.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin

2 comments:

ann low Sep 17, 2011, 9:26:00 AM  

My Popo also liked to make the 'Chook-Che Shui' for our family last time.

Malay-Kadazan girl Sep 20, 2011, 12:26:00 AM  

Interesting, I never knew this way to enjoy sugar cane!

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to share your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

A place to share my thots, my experiences, my dreams, my musings, my tips...
Friends and mother are welcome to drop a line or two, don't forget to include your email or contacts, thanks.

Picture

Picture

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Tool

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP