Powered by Blogger.

Yu Chuk Herbal Soup

>> Feb 2, 2010

I boiled Yuk Chuk Soup last weekend, one of our favorites. According to my Grandma and my Mom, boiled soup is soothing and nourishing.

Hubby likes soup very much and the little guy has also developed a fondness for soup. He always ask for second helpings, isn't that nice... :-)

1 handful of yuk chuk
4 pcs of Bei Qi (astralagus)
120-150g pork ribs or lean meat
2 litre water
Salt to taste


1.  Bring to boil 2 litres of water, add in yuk chuk and bei qi
2.  In a smaller pot, fill with water and bring to boil. Add in pork ribs or lean meat and  boil for 10 minutes. Drain and dish up.
3.  Add cooked pork into the boiling soup and lower the flame to small and let it boil for 3-4 hours.
4.  Add in salt to taste and serve warm.


I like the soup which has a slight sweet taste from the Yuk Chuk and quite clear. Mostly, we enjoy the herbal soups for its taste, rather than remedies.

Do check out the benefits of these herbs, if you have the time.

Bei Qi, also known as Astralagus helps promote blood circulation and lowers blood pressure. It is remedy for general weakness and nervous exhaustion.

YUK CHUK also known as Yu Zhu (Solomon's Seal Rhizome, Polygonatum) nourish yin, moisten dryness, lung and stomach dry heat with cough, dry throat, thirst, irritability, steaming bone disorder, excess hunger, constipation, clear wind, nourish sinews – moistens sinews, spasms, dizziness.

I hope the above is helpful.

Enjoy.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

5 comments:

Rita Feb 3, 2010, 10:01:00 AM  

It is always comforting when the love ones ask for a second helping.:)

Rita Feb 3, 2010, 1:26:00 PM  

That's the encouragement one needs to keep on cooking and baking. Can't wait till CNY is here... :-))

Rita Feb 4, 2010, 10:34:00 PM  

I feel like having chicken herbal soup. Comfort food.

Rita Feb 4, 2010, 11:45:00 PM  

I love chinese herbal soup and love to cook for my family...are you a cantonese ??? hehehehe

Rita Feb 19, 2010, 1:29:00 PM  

Mei Teng - Oh yes!
Pearlyn - Yes, I am a Cantonese, that's why we are so fond of soup! A must-have at most meals :-D Are u a Cantonese too?

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to share your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

A place to share my thots, my experiences, my dreams, my musings, my tips...
Friends and mother are welcome to drop a line or two, don't forget to include your email or contacts, thanks.

Picture

Picture

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Tool

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP