Powered by Blogger.

Butter Cookies

>> Feb 8, 2010

An all-time classic butter cookies that is buttery, tender yet slightly crisp and practically melt in your mouth. I’ve been searching for months and tried a few that left me even more determined to find a better one… till I stumbled on one but this was quite a few years ago. The ingredients are simple. I can’t remember the source but I’ve since adapted it, adjusting the sugar amount.



For a good buttery Butter Cookies, the secret lies in the butter, a good pure butter. I’ve tried with Anchor Butter, SCS and Golden Churn. Surprisingly, those made with Anchor Butter was really good, so I’ve stuck with it.


120g pure butter (salted)
90g caster sugar
1 egg yolk (large)
190g all-purpose plain flour
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp vanilla essence

1.      Sift flour and baking powder.
2.      Cream butter and sugar till light colour.
3.      Add in egg yolk and mix till well blended.
4.      Gently fold in the flour, 2-3 spoons at a time, till a soft dough forms.
5.       Divide the dough into 4 portion, wrap each portion in plastic and roll till about 5mm thick.
6.      Leave in the fridge for about 1-2 hours or overnight.
7.      Remove one portion at a time, roll till 4mm. Cut with cookie cutter or using a sharp knife cut into rectangles of 2cm x 3cm. Gently lift and place on lightly floured baking tray.
8.      Bake at 165C (fan force oven) for 10.5 – 11 min till the edge is slightly brown.
9.      Do not over-bake. Watch carefully as these scotch easily.
10.  Cool on wire tray and store in air-tight container.


I prefer my butter cookies fresh the same day or within the week. Buttery and still slightly crisp.

Mmmmm… I’ll like to think it’s by far the best, quite like Danish Butter Cookies (yes, those that came in a round blue tin, we were fond of them when we were kids....). I’ve made them many times, tried with different pure butter, watching oven timing & temperature till I got it right… hah!... I've received many compliments for them. J

Happy trying!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

8 comments:

Rita Feb 9, 2010, 1:47:00 AM  

WOW! What a nice buttery yummy cookies. yum..yum..

Rita Feb 9, 2010, 7:38:00 AM  

Hi anncoo... half a cannister disappeared since yesterday... in Hubby's and little guy's tummy! Hahaha! :-D

Rita Feb 9, 2010, 10:33:00 AM  

as a lousy baker, I bought a few boxes of CNY cookies and everytime I see a post like this I feel ashamed :)

Rita Feb 9, 2010, 3:11:00 PM  

I had send you the recipe , did you received it ? If not, please let me know. Thank you.

Rita Feb 10, 2010, 7:54:00 AM  

It's not difficult really, simple ingredients, cut it or mold it , push into the oven and ta-da...a yummy batch of cookies! Try it... :-)
Btw, I bought some pineapple rolls, arrow-root chips and Kuih Bangkit too. Just didn't have enough time to make all on my own. :-(

Rita Feb 10, 2010, 7:58:00 AM  

I've checked my mailbox, but I've not received any recipe yet. Would appreciate if you can re-send.

Here's my email, in case I might have typed wrongly : ritajane.lee@gmail.com

Thank you so much :-)

Rita Feb 10, 2010, 8:50:00 AM  

I like butterfinger cookies. A classic indeed!

Rita Mar 3, 2010, 3:04:00 PM  

Perhaps I can send you a cannister next year :-D

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to share your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

A place to share my thots, my experiences, my dreams, my musings, my tips...
Friends and mother are welcome to drop a line or two, don't forget to include your email or contacts, thanks.

Picture

Picture

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Tool

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP