Making this dish brings back memories of my childhood. I remembered my Mom making Stuffed Mushrooms during Chinese New Year and it was a hit with the family.
("Hung bao" - Red packet)
Now, I serve this during Chinese New Year as well as some family gatherings. This is my recipe for Stuffed Mushrooms.
10 pcs dried Chinese black mushroom (soaked in hot water to soften a few hours before cooking)
125g fish paste
½ tsp Shao Hsing Hua Tiao wine (optional)
A dash of pepper
1 tsp of fatt-choy (soaked), (optional)
10 slices of carrot
½ tsp soy sauce (or to taste)
½ tsp cornflour
½ tsp sugar
1 tsp oyster sauce
A dash pepper
180 ml water
½ tsp sesame oil
1. Soak dried black mushroom with hot water for 3 hours till soften. Remove stem.
2. Mix in Shao Hsing Hua Tiao wine with fish paste (optional) and softened ‘fatt choy’, add in some pepper, mix well and set aside.
3. Dust some cornflour into the inner cap (gill-like side).
4. Stuff the mushroom caps generously with fish paste.
5. Top with a small slice of carrot in the middle. Hah, looks pretty, right?
6. Place stuffed mushroom on dish and steam for 20 minutes.
7. In a small sauce pan, heat the ingredients to make gravy.
8. Place steamed stuffed mushroom on serving plate and pour gravy over the mushroom. Serve warm.
("Fook" - Prosperity)