Powered by Blogger.

3-Tenors Saturday

>> May 26, 2011

I woke up to the robust tenors of Carreras-Domingo-Pavarotti! Never mind that I don’t understand a single word except, mamma mia and dolce…:-) The combo of the 3 greatest tenors filled our home from Marc’s AV station.  So sad that Pavarotti died of pancreatic cancer in 2007, and I’m one of the mourning fans. I'm glad I still have the CD.

You can also get this CD from the Ad box on the left.


Right after a quick breakfast, I felt energetic enough to punch some dough! Strange that I get this feeling each time hubby plays the 3-Tenors… and I have a suspicion hubby is trying to hint to me that he wants me to get my hands dirty and sticky…









Haha…nothing Italian or Spanish, I’m afraid…just,


Chinese Steamed Red Bean Bun (or popularly known as Tau Sar Pau), sori for the misleading heading... :-)



Chinese Steamed Red Bean Bun (Tau Sar Pau)
(recipe and method adapted from Nasi Lemak Lover for the pau skin)
 

500g Pau flour
2 ½ tsp dried instant yeast
100ml lukewarm water
125g caster sugar
5 tsp shortening (I used corn oil)
1 ½ tsp double acting baking powder
¼ tsp salt
110-120ml water

Red bean paste (store-bought)


1.      Add yeast and lukewarm in a medium bowl. Set aside for 5mins
2.      Add 130g flour to the yeast and leave for 15mins to form soft dough
3.      In a larger bowl, mix 370g flour, sugar, shortening/oil, salt, and water
4.      Add in soft dough in no. 2 to no. 3
5.      Start kneading… don’t worry about getting your hands dirty and sticky…the fun is just starting
6.      It is easier to knead on a solid hard surface


7.      Knead till combine and leave soft dough in a larger mixing bowl, covered with a clean towel to proof for an hour or so till double in size (I placed the covered bowl in my car-porch on a hot day of 32C)
8.      Punch down to release the air, knead lightly
9.      Divide dough equally into 40g each (You'll get medium-size buns...please adjust if you want huge or dainty ones. Steamed and ready to serve size is slightly less than 7cm in diameter)


10.   Flatten with your fingers, the edges should be thinner to make pleating/sealing easier. place a heap tsp. of red bean filling in the center, make sure the edge is not smeared with filling, to ease the pleating sealing together.


11.   Pleat and seal. Reverse it with the seal on the bottom and place on a piece of 6cm x 6cm grease-proof paper


12.   Steam on high for 10-15mins


13.   Remove to rack to cool to prevent condensation from making this dim sum treats soggy


I made 21pcs. They are better tasting served hot or warm fresh from steamer.


Important note: Please remove your rings or wrist accessories before you start getting your fingers dirty and sticky! :-)


I have made Chinese Steamed Buns a number of times previously with another recipe but I must say this is a better recipe. The skin texture is fine, soft yet firm. Please note this is not similar to the ones sold in hawkers dim-sum stalls or kopitiams, where their pau skin is very soft and often I find them, sticking to my teeth at first bite.

Thanks to Sonia for sharing generously an adapted very good and easy recipe with a choice of variety of fillings to try. I love these blogger sites, they have delightful recipes. You can click here for the quick jump to her site.

Next time, I’ll make the red bean paste myself so I’ll be able to adjust the sugar level.






You might be interested in this too...


Blog Widget by LinkWithin

1 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover May 26, 2011, 7:22:00 PM  

Thanks Rita for link me up, ya, me too like this recipe a lot, next time you may try to use good shortening as the pau will be very soft.

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to share your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

A place to share my thots, my experiences, my dreams, my musings, my tips...
Friends and mother are welcome to drop a line or two, don't forget to include your email or contacts, thanks.

Picture

Picture

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Tool

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP