Powered by Blogger.

Lemon Bliss Cake

>> May 15, 2011


Summer is here again! I mean it’s always summer here with temperatures hovering on the 30˚C most days but the last few days, we’re getting 36˚-37˚C at noon and not much cooler later in the evening or late at night.


While many may rejoice and get out their deck chairs to get that exotic Adriana Lima’s tanned look, ok, she’s Brazilian! :-) …but then, the heat will drive many indoors… what a shame!

I did just that and got myself an Iced Mocha!



I made a Lemon Bliss Cake last weekend when I found some nice plump lemons from the local shops and started looking up my collection of lemon cake recipes. I stumbled upon the recipe in King Arthur Flour some time back but did not get round to getting it made. Subsequently, I found an adapted version in the Kitchen Flavours.

This is a must try for all lemon fans out there…


The cake turns out moist, tangy, not too sweet and just the right texture. I will try with cake flour as Kitchen Flavours did in the next round, to see the difference. Each fork gives a burst of lemon flavour in your mouth…wow! 

It’s a definite keeper.

Lemon Bliss Cake
(adapted from Kitchen Flavours and King Arthur’s Flour, scaled down)

1 Loaf pan 8”x 3 ½” x 3”

118g unsalted butter (I used salted)
120g caster sugar
½ tsp salt (I omitted this as I used salted butter)
2 eggs (large)
1 tsp baking powder
180g all-purpose plain flour
125ml low-fat milk
Zest of 1 lemon (I need to increase to 2)

Lemon Glazing
3 tbsp freshly squeeze lemon juice
36g caster sugar or superfine sugar
  1. Beat together the butter, sugar and salt, first till combined, then till fluffy.
  2. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. 
  3. Add the baking powder, then add the flour alternately with the milk, starting and ending with the flour. Mix until smooth. Stir in the grated lemon rind or lemon oil. 
  4. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
  5. Bake the cake for 55 to 60 minutes at 180C, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean. 
  6. While the cake is baking, make the glaze by stirring together the lemon juice and sugar. Set aside. 
  7. Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack. After 5 minutes, run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen, and turn the cake out onto a rack. Place another rack on top, and flip it over, so it's right-side-up. 
  8. Poke the hot cake all over with a cake tester or toothpick. 
  9. Stir the glaze to combine, and immediately brush it on the hot cake. Let it sink in, then brush on more glaze, continuing until all the glaze is used up. 
  10. Allow the cake to cool before slicing.

Notes : The reduced sugar (I used caster sugar) did not form crystals but you’ll notice a fine sheen on the cake which is the lemon glazing.  
Enjoy it…as we did, this lovely aromatic and tangy cake.



Thank you King Arthur Flour and Kitchen Flavours for sharing a simple and popular favourites of many.

Do drop by Kitchen Flavours blog, an amazing lady who has a passion for gardening and not just rules in the kitchen.


Blog Widget by LinkWithin

1 comments:

kitchen flavours May 27, 2011, 9:14:00 PM  

Hi Rita,
Thank you for stopping by my blog. I'm glad that you have enjoyed the cake. I love it too! I was just thinking of making this again this weekend as I have some extra lemons in my fridge. Thanks for the link and your lovely words! Am following you. Have a nice day!

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to share your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

A place to share my thots, my experiences, my dreams, my musings, my tips...
Friends and mother are welcome to drop a line or two, don't forget to include your email or contacts, thanks.

Picture

Picture

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Tool

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP