>> May 15, 2011
- Beat together the butter, sugar and salt, first till combined, then till fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the baking powder, then add the flour alternately with the milk, starting and ending with the flour. Mix until smooth. Stir in the grated lemon rind or lemon oil.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with a spatula.
- Bake the cake for 55 to 60 minutes at 180C, or until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, make the glaze by stirring together the lemon juice and sugar. Set aside.
- Remove the cake from the oven, and set it on a rack. After 5 minutes, run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen, and turn the cake out onto a rack. Place another rack on top, and flip it over, so it's right-side-up.
- Poke the hot cake all over with a cake tester or toothpick.
- Stir the glaze to combine, and immediately brush it on the hot cake. Let it sink in, then brush on more glaze, continuing until all the glaze is used up.
- Allow the cake to cool before slicing.
Enjoy it…as we did, this lovely aromatic and tangy cake.