Powered by Blogger.

Apple Muffin

>> May 26, 2010


This was one of the few first recipes I tried when I began baking. It was the success of this muffin that gave me the courage to continue baking…I’m glad I don’t always produce disasters in the kitchen! J



(note the lumpy batter) ... waiting to get into the oven

I’ve tried the recipe (Original Recipe by NMariae) both with and without the topping. While the ‘crunchy topping’ may be preferred by many but I still like my muffins without the sweet toppings. I’ve added the cinnamon into the muffin batter and increase the amount of chopped apples, as suggested by some reviewers, this really made the difference, it’s moist and fragrant. Thanks to kind reviewers like Tunisian Wife, 3beattieboys and many others for sharing… these reviews really help “newbies” like me. J

Half way through baking, the fragrant cinnamon wafting from the kitchen drew Hubby and the little one to the kitchen…haha! I really like that!

Here’s the adapted recipe,

250g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
115g butter
80g white sugar
80g brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp ground cinnamon
4 granny smith green apples, (each, about 110g)

(Toppings) - optional 
60g packed brown sugar
1tbsp plain flour
1/8 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp butter

1.                  Preheat oven to 190°C.
2.                  Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3.                  Beat butter, sugar and eggs. Mix in vanilla.
4.                  Fold in the flour and stir in chopped apples.
5.                  Spoon into individual muffin pan lined with cupcake liners.
6.                  (For the crumb toppings) In a separate bowl, mix brown sugar, flour and cinnamon. Cut in butter until mixture is like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over tops of mixture in muffin pan.
7.                  Bake for about 15-20 minutes, till golden brown or toothpicks inserted in the center comes out clean
8.                  Allow 5 mins before removing from pan to cool on wire tray.


The original recipe calls for 1 1/2 cup or 190g chopped apples but I've more than doubled it and I've no regrets. I took 2 apples, cored and peeled and shred them. The remainder 2 apples, I've cored and chopped them small, unpeeled. I like nuts, so I sprinkles some chopped walnuts on half of the muffins just before getting them into the oven.

The muffins turned up moist and just nice, not too sweet... You can still see some chunks of apples...hmmm I like them a lot! I like them still slightly warm and crusty-out-not-long-from-oven. :-)



Enjoy! 

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

3 comments:

Rita May 26, 2010, 11:33:00 PM  

I love the flavor of cinnamon and it is best to go with apples. Looks so delicious.

Xiao Yen Recipes May 28, 2010, 12:49:00 AM  

I love apple bread so this muffin recipe is very appealing to me. I can tell it's a wonderful recipe.

Rita Nov 9, 2010, 9:20:00 PM  

Cinnamon and apple never go wrong!

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to share your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

A place to share my thots, my experiences, my dreams, my musings, my tips...
Friends and mother are welcome to drop a line or two, don't forget to include your email or contacts, thanks.

Picture

Picture

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Tool

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP