Powered by Blogger.

Coffee Cake

>> Jan 8, 2010

I enjoyed this Christmas very much probably because I baked more than I did the previous year. I injured my arm in late 2008 but have since recovered, somewhat. Hehehe...I enjoyed probably because I ate a lot too the past few weeks. Oh my, it's going to be tough with Chinese New Year barely 5 weeks away... how can I resist the festive food?


Here's some of the Xmas stuff... mouth-watering stuff! I made 2 small 6” cakes and presented 1 to my friend for Christmas this year. A white cream cake with chocolate & strawberries are normally kids favourite. I think I didn’t do too good a job on the decoration but we love the chunky & tart strawberries and chocolate combined with coffee sponge cake.


(This Coffee Cake decorated with chocolate shavings was given to a friend)

Sponge Cake
1 packet sponge-cake mix 250g
Eggs, water and melted butter, please follow instruction per packet
1 tsp of mocha or coffee paste

Topping & Cream filling
2-3 tbsp of ice-cold water


100g strawberries, hulled and cut into small chunks
75g dark chocolate
2 tbsp double cream
2 tsp of butter
1-2 tsp fresh milk











1.      Prepare sponge cake as per instruction. Beat all ingredients in a mixing bowl till soft and fluffy. Add in mocha paste and continue beating till well combined.
2.      Pour in (2 x 6” round pans) or 1 pan of 9”. Lined bottom with baking paper and lightly grease the sides.
3.      Bake at 180C for 35-40 minutes till golden brown and when the cake has pulled slightly away from the sides of pan.



4.      Remove from oven, gently remove from pan and set to cool on wire tray.
5.       Once cooled, chill in the fridge while we set to prepare the whipped topping and chocolate fillings
6.      In a double boiler method, melt chocolate, cream and butter, stir till combined, add milk little by little. Let cool, thicken slightly but enough for spreading & piping but not harden at all.
7.      Whip Topping : Beat whip topping and iced water, in a chilled mixing bowl and beater, till lines start appearing. (Do not overbeat)
8.      Remove the cake from the fridge and slice across into 2 layers.
9.      Decorate with cream, add strawberry chunks and melted chocolate, as desired. Or, you can add chocolate shavings too.



I hope you have enjoyed eating as much as I did during the holidays. :-D

By the way, this is my present from my Hubby... nope, not the Estee Lauder... but I was also eyeing this CUPCAKE by Joanna Farrow when we visited the bookstore the last 2 times. :-)


Blog Widget by LinkWithin

6 comments:

Rita Jan 8, 2010, 10:56:00 PM  

WOW! This is a very beautiful cake. You're such a great baker ;D

Rita Jan 8, 2010, 11:09:00 PM  

now that is a cake!!!

Rita Jan 9, 2010, 10:00:00 AM  

Wow you can bake!!!! i suck at baking!

that cake looks really good like the one you can get from the shops! very pretty looking...too good to eat lol

Rita Jan 13, 2010, 9:16:00 AM  

Thank you for the lovely compliments, my friends. That gives me the encouragement I need to keep on baking and improving. :-)

Rita Jan 15, 2010, 11:04:00 AM  

Baked gifts are the very best ones, Rita! Happy 2010!

Rita Jan 15, 2010, 3:06:00 PM  

Hi Ivonne...So good to hear from you again.
I agree with you, baking with your heart makes the best gift.
Hope you had a wonderful year-end break and holidays. Happy 2010 to you too.
May we all forward to a 'sweeter' year ahead :-D

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to share your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

A place to share my thots, my experiences, my dreams, my musings, my tips...
Friends and mother are welcome to drop a line or two, don't forget to include your email or contacts, thanks.

Picture

Picture

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Tool

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP