Powered by Blogger.

A Bowl of TLC Goodness Noodles

>> Jul 14, 2011

My Mom used to make Mee Suah Soup (In Cantonese Mein Seen Tong) when we were young and sick or just recovering. It’s soft, easy on digestion and comforting. I loved it then and still do now.




Mee Suah is flour vermicelli, basically made of wheat flour and salt. The brand that I used, is a little salty, so I have omitted the salt as the anchovies soup is rich and a little salty too.


I have varied it to include more vegetables and here’s my version that’s Hubby’s and Max’s favourite now. I will usually prepare this when the little guy has a loosen milk-teeth which is about to drop off… J

Mee Suah Soup Base
15-20 dried anchovies
5 bowls of water
5 shitake mushrooms, fresh (or dried)

Steam vegetables till fork tender
Carrot, sliced
Cauliflower florets
Broccoli florets

Mee Suah (enough for 2-3 persons)
2 eggs, beaten (optional)

Pepper and salt to taste
1-2 tsp Sesame oil

Soup base
1.      Wash anchovies and rinse, then soak for 30mins in 1 bowl of water
2.      Take (1) above and boil with 4 remaining bowls of water on medium heat for 15mins with mushrooms
3.      Add in pepper and salt (optional, to taste)
4.      Remove mushrooms and slice thin
5.      Strain and use the liquid (This step may be omitted if using peeled dried anchovies)
6.      When boiling, add in beaten eggs, give it a stir with the choptick and turn off flame after 5 seconds,  – Now, you have “egg flower” in the soup

Mee Suah Noodle
1.      Wash the noodle in cold water and drain
2.      Bring a pot of water to boil, add in sesame oil and drop the mee suah into it for 20secs
3.      Mee Suah is likely to lump together, use a chop-stick to separate them
4.      Dish out into serving bowls and discard water

Ladle hot soup into the bowls to cover the noodles and place pieces of colourful veggies and shitake slices on top. Serve hot!

That’s comfort for me. 

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

3 comments:

kitchen flavours Jul 15, 2011, 4:07:00 PM  

This is a bowl of comfort noodles alright! Your bowl of mee suah soup looks so good and delicious! My mom used to make this for us too when we are not feeling well. Sometimes she cooked this with pounded dried shrimps for the soup and there's always an egg, which we love! Yes, I still love mee suah soup too.

Anonymous,  Jul 16, 2011, 9:27:00 PM  

This sounds a wonderful soup - delicious and good for you - i'm absolutely going to give this a go - thanks for a great recipe!
Mary

Rita Aug 9, 2011, 10:50:00 AM  

@kitchen flavours
That's an interesting idea!

@Mary
Pls try and let me know :-)

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to share your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

A place to share my thots, my experiences, my dreams, my musings, my tips...
Friends and mother are welcome to drop a line or two, don't forget to include your email or contacts, thanks.

Picture

Picture

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Tool

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP