Powered by Blogger.

Mocha Cupcakes

>> Dec 17, 2009

I have this ‘thing’ to try coffee-something… hahaha, no, I’m not pregnant! Just a yearning to make some stuff with coffee or coffee-flavoured something-something. It’s not a stress thing, it’s the year-end, Christmas is coming, New Year is coming and my “Bosses” are also in holiday mood, as I am… J



While browsing the net, this gorgeous looking cupcake from MyBakingAddiction.com caught my eyes and I just knew I gotta try. If you check up Jamie’s site, you’ll know what I mean…all the cupcakes are just so yummilicious-looking. Thanks Jamie - your pics got me craving for more...hahaha!


These cupcakes are just perfect and not too overly coffee-flavoured, as Jamie said too. They are soft, tender and moist and taste even better the next day (if there’s any left!... J) the chocolate-coffee blends so well …and, one is just not enough! Well, I made them twice in 3 days… of course I didn’t pigged out, I brought over to share with my Mom and my nieces.

I was getting in some practice for the coming festive next weekend and I was thinking that these may be a good gift for my friend.


1-1/3 cup plain flour (I used 185g)
1/3 cup (1 used 40gVan Houten’s)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt (I omitted this as I used salted butter)
½ cup whole milk (I used 125ml + 2 tbsp low-fat milk …yes, I definitely have to keep my Gym’s appointments)
½ cup strong brewed coffee, room temperature (I used 2 tsp of Nescafe Instant Coffee diluted in ½ cup boiling water and let cool)
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup butter (113g)
½ cup granulated sugar (I used 90g caster sugar)
½ cup firmly packed light brown sugar (I used 95g)
1 large egg
¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chip


1.      Preheat to 350°F (175C). Line cupcake pan with liners.
2.      Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt (the dry ingredients). In a measuring cup, combine the milk, brewed coffee and vanilla (the wet ingredients).
3.      In a stand mixer, using a flat beater on medium-high speed, beat the butter and sugars together until light and fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add the egg and beat until combined. Slowly add the flour mixture, alternating with the coffee mixture, ending with the flour mixture. (I added 2 tbsp of milk when the batter looks kind of thick… maybe Malaysian flour different???). Stir in chocolate chips.
4.     Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full. Bake for about 17-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a cupcake comes out clean. (I got my cupcakes out of the oven at 18mins)
5.      Let cool before frosting cupcakes.


If you can’t resist, try one which is cooled but just a wee bit still warm from the oven. My little one couldn’t wait, he snitched one from the wire tray… and another. “Mom, this is very good!” – the evidence …hahaha… the chocolate crumbs & melted chocolate chip smear around his mouth! (Too bad, I didn’t think to get the camera… what a delightful sight!)



For coffee-lovers, you may want to increase to 3 tsp if you want a stronger coffee flavour. As it is, this is just fine and I have a little one to consider.

This is the last available weekend to shop for gifts if you have not had time... Happy Shopping!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

2 comments:

Rita Dec 21, 2009, 10:51:00 PM  

They looks beautiful, bet they are very tasty too!

Rita Dec 27, 2009, 5:28:00 PM  

Thank you. If you like coffee and chocolate, this is very nice. It's goes quite well with a cup of coffee or espresso.
Happy New Year. :-D

Post a Comment

Hi! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to share your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About This Blog

A place to share my thots, my experiences, my dreams, my musings, my tips...
Friends and mother are welcome to drop a line or two, don't forget to include your email or contacts, thanks.

Picture

Picture

Protected by Copyscape Plagiarism Tool

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP